This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Monday 22 October 2012

Photography

Idris Khan

For contextual studies for photography we were shown a PowerPoint of 50 photographers and had to pick 3 in which we wanted to have a look at in detail. Idris Khan was the one that struck me as most interesting. I think it's the general use of layering that I thought looked really effective and have always found appealing when it comes to photo distortion. 

The Houses of Parliament London 2012

I'm also a bit of a sucker for black and white photography, so it's no wonder I found this photographer of interest.  This above photo I particularly liked. He apparently used 70-100 different images, different fragments of the image. His sources ranged from photographs, to stock images and postcards. I think it looks really effective, the different opacity's and layers. It urges you to look closer into the photo.  I also like even though the image looks really distorted you can still see what building is. It is still recognisable, which shows he's been very selective with which bits of the building he's chosen to repeat and how he's layered it. He's been careful not to alter the essence of the building and the surrounding area. 
I also thing there is something about the image that makes me think of time and change. From researching this work some of the photos used were from the 1930s and I presume others were contemporary. Which I think draws on this theme of change and the passing of time. 



The London Eye London 2012

I also think it's genuinely really interesting to see a photographer whose primary material is software. Often it's just a tool used to alter photos slightly but for Idris Khan software is essential for making he's artwork. I think this is interesting, as fairly often photo manipulation can be something that is kind of frowned upon, and seen as a 'cheat', when really so much can be achieved with it and his work is a great example of that. This London eye one I really find quite mesmerising. The way the different layered images of the eye are from deifferent angles and prespectives is really interesting and again really gives the idea of movement. It works really well for this one because the eye is a moving structure and this effect nicely gives an impression of movement.


A Memory of Being Watched 24/7


This one above is of street cameras. Hence the title "A Memory of Being Watched" apparently the cameras that Idris has to pass on is way to work every day. I really like this image as almost as if you can see rays of light like spotlights coming from the cluster of cameras in the middle. Plus you feel like your looking up at the cameras from a low angle, and with the vertical brick wall that is also visible within in image it really makes you feel looked down on. As if something is watching you from all angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment