This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Photography

Francesca Woodman

Francesca Woodman is the second photographer I decided to look at from the 50 photographers list. Most of her work is black and white photos of herself and female models. They are often blurry and quite obscure and I really was just very intrigued by her work and really wanted to look more into it. 



There is something really eery and ghost-like about a lot of her photos. How she often obscures the face gives these bodies a lack of identity. The composition of this above one is really nice, how she's taken it from the top of a stair and incorporated a reflection from the mirror at the bottom. Theres a real enigma to the photo. The blurriness of the figure has created a movement in the image, as if she's falling/fell/been pushed down the steps. It's quite a violent image. The cracked mirror, the brawled figure and the grungey stained walls.



I really like this one. How it's really captured the movement. The blurring of the figure and the garment. How the clothing the figure is wearing, even though you can't see it appears quite white and crisp, it contrasts nicely with the dirty wall behind. The floor is really dark and grimy but the figure looks free, let loose. I think it really is a nice image. It's distorted just enough, it's still clear that this is a female figure and you can still make out the dress she's wearing.



This one is also really quite a nice one. It's subtle. How the figure is semi in the water and semi intertwined with the roots of the tree. It's as if she is one with the ground. She's part of the nature surrounding her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment