This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Sunday 11 November 2012

Photography

Lorna Simpson

The fourth artist that appealed to me was fine art photographer Lorna Simpson. American photographer who made her name in the 80's/90's. The piece I wanted to look close at was "Five Day Forecast" which was first made in 1988 and she remade it in 1991. 
I think the general composition and how this piece looked visually is what drew me to it. But researching more into the underlying context I found really interesting and really made me aware how strong the piece is visually and contextually.

 

The is the piece "Five Day Forecast". It's hard to see from the size of the image but along the top is days of the week engraved in capital letters, san serif font on black plaques. Along the bottom of the images is ten more plaques with the words ‘Misdescription’, ‘Misinformation’, ‘Misidentify’, ‘Misdiagnose’, ‘Misfunction’, ‘Mistranscribe’, ‘Misremember’, ‘Misgauge’, ‘Misconstrue’ and ‘Mistranslate’. In the photos is a cropped image of a black woman with her arms crossed. They are not the same repeated image, there is subtle differences in each pose. But the pose itself is very defensive and obstinate. Despite the cropping you can still tell it's a woman in these images. I think it's clear Lorna Simpson is trying to say something about sex and race in this image.
The clothing that the woman is wearing seems to be a plain shift dress and looks to be some sort of uniform. You get the impression these photos are taken from each working day and are portraying the feelings and experiences of this day to day working life for this black woman. How the pose hardly changes suggests this is how she feels every day, this is her life. 
How the image has cropped the face off, gives the woman a lack of identity. A lack of personality. Which is presumably hinting to how she is treated in her work place, or how she feels as a worker. She's not regarded as a person. All the words below have negative connotations and hint to the working relationships.
To conclude, as only really looking at this image for 10 minutes I've read a lot into, shows how strong her images are. I think there is a lot more underlying meaning to this piece and I think that's what makes it really interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete