This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Fashion - Contextual

Contextual Studies - Fashion
The designer I found was called Jacob Birge. I'd never heard of him before and it's the boldness of his work that really stood out to me. I was browsing randombly on Trendland ( A blog site which hosts different artists and designers) I knew they had a section for fashion and I have always found it a great place to go online to find artists you've never before heard of.

http://trendland.com/symmetric-strategy-by-jacob-birge/#



The work is heavily influenced by symmetry. That's why the collection is named Symetric Strategy. One thing I found particulaly interesting is the use of the repeated headpieces on each of the outfits. I think the way it covers the face makes it quite depersonal. Not human. I think the outfits themselves have a futuristic look to them. The rigidness, the bold shapes, the hard edges and the panelled effects on some of them. The collection is supposed to reflect the relationship between man and technology and I think this is why it has such a futuristic look. The idea of technology... Man made, not natural. The fight between technology and nature. The outfits in some places contour the body with the natural curves and in other places are more structures and alter the natural shapes of the body. The use of the primary colours red and blue really make a bold statement. Both contrasting and being alongside the blacks make them really stand out strong.
(Note to self complete this)

No comments:

Post a Comment