This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Illustration

 Deth P. Sun

When researching illustrators that appeal to me I had a look at a recent Now Then magazine that I picked up in town the other week. Now Then is a Sheffield magazine that features independent art, trade, music, writing and local news. It's written by members of the community not proffessionals and each issue picks an artist that is featured on the cover and throughout the pages, usually features an interview with the artist too which is great. Sometimes the artist is local others not but always it's someone pretty interesting (In my opinion).

The illustrator I found was Deth P Sun, whose illustrations are usually of cats in unusual adventures and scenarios. I got stuck actually picking which ones to feature on this blog, because all of them I find so cool. 



Simlar to Sara Fanelli I really like how Deth's illustrations have quite a limited colour palette. The colours are all really complementing to eachother and I like how he makes certain things just all one colour such as the one above the tree and the bellow plants are all in the grey colour yet the character, the leaves and other elements are in colour, emphasising these elements and ultimatly telling a story. 

Some of his drawings are generally just quite comical and others are really more engaging and get you wondering whats going on. Such as the one above the characters expression looks quite wary and he's carrying a lions head and has a sword. It gets you all suspicious, it's great. 

 I love this one above, the really exaggerated steam coming from the mug, the expression on the cats face and the big cuddley blanket. 


This one above seems to be one that's more simple and comical. I like how he keeps the character the same yet changes the colour slightly, such as this ones now in black and the previous ones were grey or teal. It's questionable whether these cats are all the same character or not actually. I'd love to see one of Deth P Sun's exebitions to see how these illustrations fit together sequencially actually and how they depict a full adventure.



Most of Deth P Suns illustrations are paintings, from reading his interview with Now Then I found out he uses high viscosity fluid acrylics, matte acrylics and medium viscosity acrylics. And with his drawings he uses a G Tec 4. I think it's really interesting to know what materials exactly certain artists use. Deth P Sun explains that he's really specific about the type paints, pens and brushes he uses and obviously most of his pieces have a similar finish and precision to them and the same materials are necessary to get the same outcomes and keep his work looking sequential.


No comments:

Post a Comment