This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Illustration

 David Litchfield


The next illustrator I've found just today is David Litchfield. This illustrator I found from Tumblr which I think is a great way to find both upcoming and professional artists. David Litchfield uses mainly traditional techniques such as pens, pencils, watercolours and coloured pencils. From what I gather he is a freelance illustrator and has appeared in magazines, children’s books, animations, on album covers, T-shirts and as part of marketing campaigns. 
He completed a personal project of an illustration a day for a year which you can find here: http://davidsdrawingaday.tumblr.com/

One of his recent projects that I like is one he's done for beano. On his blog he explains the process he goes through when doing a project like this. He creates several rough sketchy thumbnails. Then he begins drawing onto A3 or A4. Usually a bigger size than the actual image and draws each character on a separate piece of paper and colours. To avoid one thing going wrong and to make the whole piece more manageable. He then scans each character onto photoshop on different layers and sorts out the composition, cleans up the drawings a little bit and no doubt alters certain elements. 

These pictures of the piece below was taken from his blog, it's interesting to see that he drew the monkeys arms and body separate from one another!

Commenting on his drawings in general I really like his use of the traditional techniques. How he colours his drawings before altering them on photoshop I think is really interesting and looks really authentic. I think this technique is particularly good when doing children's illustrations. Kids love colouring and it is recognisable ... not in an untidy way, it still looks professional but there is a real kind of authenticity to it. On the illustration below I really love how vibrant the colours are. 



No comments:

Post a Comment