This blog is to display my journey through a year of foundation art & design. I'm currently doing the foundation degree at Chesterfield College and these posts all show my exploration, research, ideas and more.

Explore

My photo
I'm Toni. I'm 18. Art Student.

Saturday 6 October 2012

Week 3 FINE ART

WEEK 3 - FINE ART


Day 1 of Fine Art we were looking at metaphors within artwork. We had a look at several random pieces to see what metaphors ourselves could bring out of them. Looking at both the vehicle and the tenor of each piece. What the piece looks like on the surface and what deeper ideas are being portrayed within.

One that I found interesting to look at was RenĂ© Magritte "The Lovers".
It's clear there is a definite theme of intimacy and love. I think the dark shadows and the stormy looking background really makes you think there is something darker about the painting. It makes me think of sadness and pain. I think that could be interpreted that true love comes with pain and hurt. The bags over the head blinding "The lovers" could be a reference to the proverb "Love is blind" but I think it's also more than that, and hints to the suffocation that comes with love as well. Especially with the background being able to see the room that they are confined in.
I think it's really interesting to see how ambiguous some art can be. Researching a bit more into this painting people had many different interpretations of what they thought the painting meant. 
From reading an analysis of the painting I found out that the covered heads could be related to Magrittes mothers suicide, as she was found in a river with her nightdress wrapped around her head.


No comments:

Post a Comment